Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Move It!

It's time to talk about exercising.  To me exercising is so much easier than eating super well.  Too bad nutrition is like 85% of the whole body fat losing process.  But that does leave 15% for exercise, which is still very important.

If you are just starting a program -- I'm not saying "diet," because it has to be more of a lifestyle -- you should start with heavy weight lifting.  If you're a female this probably goes against everything that your little cardio body is used to or wants to think.  Weight lifting is so important!  By lifting weights you build muscle, which burns a lot of calories (and calories equal fat).  You may think that you are going to look like this:

But you're not!!!  I guarantee that these chicks are on some sort of steroids/testosterone (not to mention sleeping in a tanning bed).  Women naturally produce minimal amounts of testosterone compared to men and women do not look like that by just lifting weights.  I promise!

Women and men can do the exact same workout and when men bulk up, women tone.  This girl did a 12 week program of heavy weight lifting (plus eating well and cardio) and lost 11.6% body fat and gained 1/2 pound of muscle.

This guy did a similar 12 week program and gained 10 pounds of muscle.  So, more testosterone = more muscle bulking.
Men's Fitness Exercise Program

I started this weight lifting plan that I will change each week.  It took 20-25 minutes to complete (Monday) and I was definitely feeling it the next day.  If you do this, remember to lift heavily.  It suggests 8-12 reps and that means that the weight you choose should not let you do 13 reps.  If you are doing more than 12 reps you need to lift a heavier weight.  After I lifted I did cardio.  I ran on the treadmill (until I felt like my pelvis was broken -- 5 min) then did the stair master for 20 minutes.
Monday: Upper Body
Bench Press: 3 sets of 8-12 reps                           I used 2 20 lbs dumbells.
Bent Over Barbell Row: 3 sets of 8-12 reps          I used 50 lbs on the barbell.
Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 8-12 reps        I used 15 lb dumbells.
Skull Crushers: 3 sets of 8-12 reps                        I used a 15 lb dumbell.   
Barbell Curl: 3 sets of 8-12 reps                            I used 20 lb dumbells.
Tuesday: Lower Body
Barbell Squat: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Stiff-Legged Deadlift: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Leg Extension: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Lying Leg Curls: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Standing Calf Raises: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Lying Leg Raises: 3 sets of 10-15 reps
Exercise Ball Crunches: 3 sets of 10-15 reps
Thursday: Upper Body
Dips: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Pullups: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Lateral Raises: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Triceps Pushdowns: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Cable Curls: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Friday: Lower Body
Deadlift: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Leg Press: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Dumbbell Lunges: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Seated Calf Raises: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Dumbbell Shrugs: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Decline Crunches: 3 sets of 10-15 reps
Hyperextensions: 3 sets of 10-15 reps

1 comment:

  1. Awesome I have printed this and am going to give it a try.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Lisa

    Creative Raisins

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...