Friday, January 20, 2012

TOYS

A few months ago I picked up this toy box at the thrift store for $30.  I tried to talk the manager down on price but it was so new that he wouldn't budge (I'm lame. I know).  I loved it so much that I bought it anyway.  It is made of pine and was already put together.  Score!

For Christmas I got a can of white and a can of red spray paint from my sister-in-law and I knew they would be perfect for this project -- thanks, C!

 


I started by having my friend cut out the letters TOYS with her massive vinyl cutter.  It was awesome because I only had to give her the dimensions of the toy box and which font I wanted and she did it perfectly.


I took off all the hardware and put the vinyl on the wood.  
 

Then I spray painted it white with one coat (not enough to cover well).   

Then I sprayed red over that with enough to cover the whole thing well. 

Next I took the vinyl off.


Then I brushed stain over the whole thing so the red would be darker and the wood where the letters were would be dark. 

And I sprayed the rest of the toy box red and brushed the stain on it.  I didn't paint it white underneath the red.

 I let it sit for a few minutes then wiped the stain off, leaving the red a little darker but not looking oily.

I put the hardware back on and everything together.

Then I sanded the toy box so it looked aged.  This was the reason I painted the white coat on the lid first.  I love that some white comes through.  

The only thing I have left to do is put some casters on the bottom so we can roll it around.  I love it for both its looks and function!



Linking up at the great Linky parties found at the bottom of the blog.  They are where I find most of my inspiration!  Check them out!

plus

15 comments:

  1. This is fabulous!! What a great job, and I love the antique look to it. All that hard work truly was value added! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coolio, Kelli! I had one just like it (as I recall) as a kid and my mom painted hunter green. That is only one of handful of "crafty" things I ever recall my Mom doing.

    How sweet, looks great!
    Smiles from my Dashboard,
    Suzanne in NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think $30 may have been a fair price...it looks like a really nice piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is precious! What a great job. I actually have one of these I picked up at a garage sale years ago. It is in a closet as a catch all. May as well make it a cute catch-all, right! Sometimes, things are right in front of your eyes, but you don't "see" them.

    Thank you for sharing this wonderful project at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a great job. It really looks amazing. Thanks for sharing. SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks amazing! You did a great job! You should join me for http://raisingoranges.blogspot.com/2012/01/handmade-52-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great job! Love the colour.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is adorable! and what is it about red popping against snow that just makes me happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelli-love the toy box! I'm so glad you went with the stain over the red, it is perfect!
    thank you so much for linking up and linking back to catch as catch can!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job, Kelli! I love the way it came out. And it looks so pretty against the snowy backdrop. ;)

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday. Hope to see you again this week.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow... I gotta tell ya, I squealed when I saw this. When I was a child, my parents got that same toy box for my brother (It even has the line down the middle of the front). Well after I got married my husband & I needed more furniture, especially something in the living room to hide the wii fit board and other junk. So we dug out my bro's old box from my parents' house. It was in bad shape. Falling apart. We took it apart completely, sanded it down, put it back together with good screws, and stained it. It is so awesome to have. Great to sit on to put on shoes too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...